Sister Scholastica Mwebbezi
The Sisters of Our Lady Queen of Africa
HISTORY OF THE SISTERS
The Religious Institute of the Sisters of Our Lady Queen of Africa was founded in 1903 by the Most Rev. Adolf Lechaptois, the then apostolic prefect of Tanganyika prefecture which comprised the present area covered by the Dioceses of Kigoma, Mbala (in Zambia), Mbeya and Sumbawanga. This Institute which was initially put under the patronage of St. Peter Claver was entrusted to the care of the Sisters of Our Lady Queen of Africa (known as White Sisters). It developed slowly with great difficulties and experienced a lot of problems throughout the two Great World wars.
At any rate, despite all these difficulties and setbacks, the Institute out of divine providence got its Decree of Erection from the Apostolic in 1949. From that time, vocations started to increase and by 1970 the Institute got its very first indigenous Mother General, Sr. Lidwina Katabi.
The Sisters of Our Lady Queen of Africa have been doing Apostolate and human development in the Dioceses of Dar es Salaam, Kigoma, Mpanda, Mbeya, Moshi, Tabora, Mwanza, and Sumbawanga in Tanzania. They also extend their missionary services in three dioceses in Zambia. With God’s grace these apostolic and social services of the Institute are to spread to other parts of the world.
The Charisma of our Sisters is evangelization. Our call is to serve ALL people in humility after the example of Mary...our Patroness. Our community pledges to the service of God and the poor of Tanzania through our vows of Obedience, Chastity and Poverty.
Our focus is to work to develop comprehensive, holistic solutions. Over the course of several years, "Friends of the Sisters Our Lady Queen of Africa" have helped interact in a meaningful way to generate resources for school and student living improvements. Lift up our work with your prayers.